Saturday, 21 February 2026

Bishop of Lincoln suspended by newly installed Archbishop of Canterbury after safeguarding complaint

  The Bishop of Lincoln, the Right Reverend Stephen Conway, has been suspended following a safeguarding complaint.

Newly installed Archbishop of Canterbury Dame Sarah Mullally temporarily removed him from his position after a complaint was made to the Church of England’s national safeguarding team.

The Church of England said on Friday that Conway, who is also a member of the House of Lords, had been suspended while a 'safeguarding complaint' was investigated. It also said the complaint had been passed onto the 'relevant authorities'. Allegations were first made against Conway at the end of January. 

The Bishop of Grantham, Dr Nicholas Chamberlain, has been drafted in to fill the bishop's role while Conway is suspended, according to a statement posted to the Diocese of Lincoln's website. It read: 'The Bishop of Lincoln, The Rt Revd Stephen Conway, has been suspended from ministry while a complaint made to the National Safeguarding Team is responded to according to House of Bishops Code of Practice. 

'This includes referral to the appropriate statutory authorities. 'The Bishop of Grantham, The Rt Revd Dr Nicholas Chamberlain, will be performing the function of the Diocesan Bishop during this period.

'Support is in place for those affected and there will be no further comment while the process is ongoing. 'We understand that this will be a deeply unsettling time. The Diocesan Safeguarding Team is available for anyone who wishes to contact them.' 

FULL ARTICLE AT: https://mol.im/a/15579151 via https://dailym.ai/android 

No comments:

Post a Comment