Monday 2 December 2013

"THE PROPHECY CONUNDRUM" BY JACK KINSELLA FROM "THE OMEGA LETTER".

The Omega Letter Intelligence Digest
Vol: 146 Issue: 29 - Friday, November 29, 2013

The Prophecy Conundrum 
Note: This Letter is even more luminous today than when it was written.  Alf Cengia's "Iran - Now they're Talking! " reveals through the happenings in the Middle East further evidence that our faith is not in vain.  Tick. Tock.
In every generation of Christians since the time of the Apostles, there have been devout souls who have pored over the Scriptures, comparing the signs to the times and looking for evidence suggesting the imminent return of Christ.
In most previous generations, they were either revered as sages or dismissed as harmless nut-cases. But in this generation, something is different. Students and teachers of Bible prophecy find themselves in great demand or shunned like lepers.
Depending on how one receives the message, we are perceived as either hateful or hopeless, but we are certainly not harmless. In this generation, the first mental image most people have when they hear "Bible prophecy" is of a burning compound outside Waco.
It doesn't matter that David Koresh was certifiably nuts or that he claimed to be Jesus Christ. To most people in this generation, "Bible prophecy" and "apocalyptic cult" are synonyms.
I typed in Bible prophecy apocalypse as Google keywords and the most popular returns all referenced 2012 in some way.
Very few actually had much to do with Bible prophecy, all of them had something to do with doomsday, and none of them offered much in the way of either understanding or hope.
Since the 1960's 'evangelical' and 'apocalyptic' and 'conservative' have all sort of run together into an image that then-candidate Obama summed up (rather well, really) in his "bitter redneck" comment.
"And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
When you get right down to it, there isn't much about Bible prophecy that this generation should be eager to embrace. I feel for one of our younger members who lamented in one of our forums that we older folks at least knew what it felt like to have a future worth planning for.
I feel it for my own children. I came to Christ in my early 20's. God called me almost immediately to be a watchman -- my kids grew up never expecting to grow up.
My son Rick will be thirty-six in August. I can still hear him in my memory, his squeaky voice just beginning to crack, asking me if I thought the Lord would tarry long enough for him to learn to drive.\
I've been expecting the Rapture to take place at any second now for almost my entire Christian life. Every new event seems to signal that 'this is IT!" but then it isn't. I get my hopes up, and then I realize that my reach has exceeded my grasp.
I am not alone -- I am one of an entire generation of similarly disappointed Christians who keep listening for a trumpet that never sounds. This collective disappointment is reflected by a number of recent surveys that suggest Christianity in general, and evangelicalism in particular, are on the wane in the United States.
Michael Spencer, writing in the Christian Science Monitor, paints a rather grim picture of where he sees American evangelical Christianity headed, not just in the United States, but the Western world.
Within two generations, evangelicalism will be a house deserted of half its occupants. (Between 25 and 35 percent of Americans today are Evangelicals.) In the "Protestant" 20th century, Evangelicals flourished. But they will soon be living in a very secular and religiously antagonistic 21st century.
This collapse will herald the arrival of an anti-Christian chapter of the post-Christian West. Intolerance of Christianity will rise to levels many of us have not believed possible in our lifetimes, and public policy will become hostile toward evangelical Christianity, seeing it as the opponent of the common good.
Millions of Evangelicals will quit. Thousands of ministries will end. Christian media will be reduced, if not eliminated. Many Christian schools will go into rapid decline. I'm convinced the grace and mission of God will reach to the ends of the earth. But the end of evangelicalism as we know it is close.
This is perfect example of the "prophecy conundrum" -- that's pretty much the way the Bible predicted it, too.
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition." (2 Thessalonians 2:3)
Assessment:
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. " (2nd Timothy 4:3-4)
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12)
"Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation." (2nd Peter 3:3-4)
Prophecy is knowledge of future events -- and that has considerable weight. If you don't believe knowledge has weight, think back to some time when you were in deep trouble when you were a kid and you were waiting for a punishment you KNEW was coming.
You already knew what you did. That was past. But punishment, although certain, was still future. Weighed heavily on your mind, didn't it? (Multiple puns intended to make the point)
Knowledge has weight. And some knowledge is heavier than other knowledge.
The end of the world is a fairly heavy subject.
The knowledge imparted to students of Bible prophecy in this generation is almost crushingly heavy -- I believe that is the reason that the Lord promises a special crown to those who willingly shoulder its burden.
"Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the Righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing." (2nd Timothy 4:8)
Watching God work has another unexpected consequence. It tends cause us to see ourselves in the reflected light of His glory --and it isn't a pretty sight. Sometimes when that happens, it also manifests itself in one of our forums.
There was an entry by a brother just the other day lamenting his spiritual condition before the Lord. He begins by confessing he is 'haunted' by the fact he isn't sure he is saved.
Let me address that brother first, before returning to the wider issue at hand, since we all struggle with that issue at one time or another.
If you can follow me around this mental circle. . . If I DIDN'T wonder if I was saved from time to time, THAT would be a reason to worry. I KNOW how far short of the glory of God I come. I know me in my innermost, darkest places.
If I was God . . . well, let's just say that it is a good thing for ME that I'm not.
So if I started to think that I was good enough to be saved, and that's why I wasn't wondering, then maybe I wouldn't be.
Stay with me, here. This is one of those circular thoughts that, once you get it, slings you out the other side where the light is better.
If you are wondering how can it be that you are saved, as unworthy and unfit as you are to be saved, then by those very doubts you qualify as one of God's redeemed.
"Amazing love! How can it be, That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?" When John Wesley penned the words to that hymn, he was haunted by his sin, too.
When God works all around you, when you watch Him change the course of nations, set up and tear down rulers according to His Word, when you actually witness Him manipulating events to conform to His prophetic outline, it tends to remind you of who you ought to be before Him.
There is another lesson taught by prophecy that is often overlooked -- not who you ought to be, but who you actually are before the Lord.
He knew, down to the tiniest detail, what you would be thinking and doing as you committed the worst and most unforgivable thing you ever did in your entire life -- and He saved you anyway.
You are the one that He loved so much that He paid the penalty for all yours sins on Calvary so you and He could be friends for eternity.
You are the one He loved so much that He told you, in advance, what to look for in the last days, so you wouldn't be scared.
"Let not your heart be troubled. Ye believe in God. Believe also in Me."
There is a crown of righteousness laid up for you and me at the Bema Seat as a special reward for carrying the weight of what we know and being willing to share it while there is still time.
I believe that Michael Spencer is right. The end of evangelicalism is close -- it's no more than a trumpet note away. We can see it. We can feel it. The weight of this sin-sick world is too heavy for us to bear for much longer.
Which is why, praise the Lord, we won't have to. He's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment